Riding well can be a puzzle. This book puts together the pieces, including:
- How humans and horses learn.
- Striving for partnership vs. dictatorship.
- Early training and developing skills.
- Demystifying equestrian-speak.
- Dressage outside the arena.
- Ground poles for the rest of us.
- Jumping and cross-country tips.
- Solving problems, wherever you ride.
- Competition psychology.
- Being coached and being a coach.
“This book is aimed at riders, coaches, and anyone interested in learning more about how humans and horses interact. I have tried to harness my own experiences when I cover the three main disciplines—dressage, show jumping, and eventing—and how they relate to one another. I look at how those in a coaching position can guide riders to perform better by making their lives less complicated and more fulfilling, and I examine how riders can apply the same principles to training their horses and become self-sufficient.” —Eric Smiley